Sometimes you all have seen the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error which is accompanied by a STOP Code VIDEO TDR FAILURE. This error generally appears when users run a video file, game, or performing any kind of action or activity that is related to the video output on the computer. Because of this annoying error the Graphic card malfunctions and halt the response and Windows action gets blocked to fix this driver error.
Even this error comes with different names that depend upon the type of graphic card you are using
- If your graphic card is NVIDIA then the error pops up as nvlddmkm. sys.
- If your graphic card is Intel then the error appears as igdkmd64. sys.
- If you have AMD or ATI graphics card then the probable error message is shown as atikmpag. sys.
You don’t have to worry now because we have come up with some solutions. In today’s article, we are going to discuss in detail the various methods of fixing video TDR failure error.
Fix Video TDR Failure ( atikmpag.sys ) in Windows 10
Method 1: Update AMD Graphic Card Driver-
- Click on the windows and R simultaneously.
- Now you need to open the device manager. To do this type devmgmt.msc and then press enter key.
- You will get the display adapter. Expand it and then press right click on the AMD card.
- Now choose the update driver option.
- Immediately the screen will pop up where you have to click on search automatically option.
- Sometimes it is possible that you don’t find any update. In this case you have to select update driver again by right click.
- Click on the text piece shown as- “Browse my computer for driver software. “
You will now get the inventory of all the drivers available on my computer. Here you have to click on “let me pick” option.
- Now in the final step choose the latest AMD driver from the available list.
- After finishing the installation reboot the system to save the changes made.
Method 2: Re-install the driver in Safe Mode-
- Click on the Windows and R key simultaneously and type msconfig.
- After hitting enter this will take you to open system configuration.
- Now navigate into the safe boot in the boot tab.
- Now press on apply and then OK in the given order.
- When you will restart your system, it will enter into boot safe mode.
- From here navigate to the device manager and expand display adapters.
- Uninstall the AMD graphic card and repeat the same number of steps for Intel card.
- Confirm the installation and reboot into the normal mode.
- Install the latest version of intel chipset driver.
Now finally you have to restart again and download the latest version of graphic card drivers from the website of the manufacturer.
Method 3: Install Old version of the driver-
- Click on the Windows Key and R simultaneously.
- Type the text- devmgmt.msc. This will direct you to the device manger.
- From the display adapter portal press the right click on AMD card.
- Select the option Browse my computer for the driver.
- You will get the inventory of the drivers. From here click let me pick option.
- Choose old AMD drivers and this will finish your installation process for which you have to click on the finish installation.
- In the end you have to reboot the system to get the changes saved.
Method 4: Rename atikmpag . sys or atikmdag.sys file-
- You have to find the following path- C:\Windows\System32\drivers
- After this you need to search for the file named atikmdag.sys. After navigating to this file change its name to atikmdag.sys.old.
- Now you have to search for the file atikmdag.sy_. You can find it on ATI directory. But sometimes it is not available there. So, search this file in c derive.
- Copy this file on the desktop. Now select the command prompt by pressing windows key and X key simultaneously.
- Now these are the commands that you have to type in cmd one by one.
- chdir C:\Users\[Your Username]\desktop
- exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
- Hit the enter
One point is to be carefully noted here that If the above commands are bot working then you should go for this one: expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
- The file atikmdag.sys is to be copied to the specified directory- C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.
- Finally reboot the system and save the changes made.
Method 5: Clean Re-install Graphics Driver-
- Download the display driver uninstaller to your system followed by its installation.
- After the installation of the display driver uninstaller, launch the setup.
- Now clean the system by pressing on clean. Restart the system which is most important step.
- Remember that after the uninstallation process of the graphic drivers your PC sill restart on its own.
- Press the Windows Key and the R key simultaneously. Type the following text- devmgmt.msc
- Hit the enter and you will be directed to the device manager.
- Immediately the menu will be popped up. Here click on the action button. Finally, press on the option- “Scan for hardware changes “.
This will take your PC to automatic installation mode for the latest graphics drivers available.
In general, this type of error occurs due to issues with the functionality of the graphic drivers like faultiness, corruption or outdating. Other reasons may be overclocking issues, overheating of system, compatibility of the components, multiple files in the background etc. What is the full form of TDR in VIDEO TDR FAILURE? Basically, the full form is Timeout, Detection, and Recovery components of Windows. After the long hours of meticulous troubleshooting, you will reach the conclusion that this error is caused by the two files -atikmpag.sys and nvlddmkm. sys in Windows 10.
Remember that this error is necessary to fix as it will put your system to the repeated bursts of the reboot. Over time this will degrade your system and you will become incapable of receiving your files.
The above-described methods are the most powerful one to resolve this problem. If one method does not work then try other methods one by one. We hope that the above article adds value to our users.